Thursday, September 9, 2010

9 Sep 2010- Mission call story from Bro. Tonne

On August 29, 2010, we attended a sacrament meeting for two young men, brothers, leaving for their missions to the country of Chile. What made this even so remarkable was the fact that 2 yrs ago they were living in Colorado City, AZ members of a Fundamentalist LDS Group. They had been doing some construction work on a house in Santa Clara, Utah (next to St. George) when a young girl started to talk to them. She was the oldest child (17) of the family in Santa Clara. That lived in/owned the house that the 2 boys were working on. The boys were not suppose to talk to girls but she was persistent and her one way discussion led to the church as she explained what Mormons believed. The boys were very surprised by her forthright candor and the things she was telling them. After a few days they made the mistake of talking to her and learned many things which they had never heard before in the sheltered society they had grown up in. After a week on the job, they made the mistake of asking questions at home and were told to leave the family they had grown up with, 40 brothers and sisters. The boys were ostracized and had no place to go so they showed up on the doorstep of the family in Santa Clara where they had completed the home remodeling. That family took them in. The boys were fast learners and soaked up all they could about the world and the church. After a year they were baptized and continued to absorb as much as they could. Following a meeting with a General Authority in Salt Lake City, about 2 months ago, they were called on missions. Their simple talks were among the most heartfelt utterances I have ever experienced. They had lost everything and then they had gained everything. They expressed no anger towards their parents, only love and respect and they had a great love for the family that took them in. Their testimonies were inspiring and their desire to serve a mission and spread the gospel was awesome. Daniel and Joseph Zitting, entered the MTC last week. One day you may hear their names again. They seem destined to do something great. The young girl mentioned above, that got all this going 2 years ago is currently in the Marine Corps boot camp. She signed up with the promise of becoming a linguist , attending the school in Monterey to learn Chinese and Arabic.

I hope you enjoyed this story as much as I did. I think my blog needs more faith promoting stories. If anyone has a thought for me to share please do and thanks to Bro Tonne who brought this story to my attention. The Walters

2 comments:

  1. That's amazing! I gave my friend Steven a B.o.M the other day at school. I marked up some pages and had him read Moroni's promise and I included a pamphlet about the restoration to help him get a better understanding. I also had a great spiritual discussion with an awkward introverted young man at school tonight. He is Catholic but doesn't go to church. He feels like a bad person because he doesn't go to church or read his scriptures. I told him I knew how he felt. As a missionary I never felt worthy. I told him that the adversary was telling him lies to make him feel like he shouldn't bother trying. I told him that Heavenly Father loved him and wants a better relationship with him and does not think he is a bad person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You never know how Heavenly Father can contact people he wants in the church. I loved this story too. Bro. Tonne should have a blog of his own, he always sends us such informational e-mails.

    ReplyDelete