Friday, August 27, 2010

27 Aug Fairy Tale City Dilsberg




































































Today we took off work to go to the Doctor's in Heidlesberg. It is almost a 2 hour trip from Frankfurt. I was bitten by some funky spider and it looks really bad, so I needed a doctor to tell me if it was a brown recluse spider bite. You know they have Socialized medicine here in Europe and some people really love it, but I am not use to having a doctor that just herds you through like cattle. They never took my temperature, never checked my blood pressure and when they dispensed the medicine, it was over the counter stuff, but guess what? The over the counter stuff costs more here than our actual medications cost from the doctor. Oh by the way the docotor said they don't have any poisonous spiders in Germany, so I guess it was just a bad spider bite, nothing to worry about. I was also told that the Doctors here do not give antibiotics unless you are dying of an infection, because people here have built up an immunity to them. No whining, just not use to the German way yet.

The last time we were in Heidleberg I took a lot of pictures but I did find a few subjects that I liked photographing. There was the cutest old man all dressed up to go to town, I guess. Didn't get a front shot but I got a back shot and you can tell from his coat that he is a dapper Dan. After our appointment we had some free time and decided to drive along the Neckar River, This is where all the rich people live. It is a very beautiful drive. Miracles really do happen because it was a miracle that we found this out of the way Dorf called Dilsberg. up on a hill outside of Heidleberg. The houses and businesses are 500 years old. Just walking into the town had the most beutiful view of the River and Valley.

We looked around the shops a while and came upon a business called ANNETT DESIGNS. It was run by a lady about my age (no telling) who had her daughter and granddaughter visiting from up North. This lady has made everything in her shop, nothing is on consignment. I would call her an all around artistic gal. There are dresses that she has designed and sewn, pottery, jewelry, paintings, photography, anything crafty, handmade shoes and she makes her own preserves from the Kiwi's that are growing on a vine up her house. (She gave Gene a few slips off of her Kiwi tree, we are going to try to get them to grow.) This gracious lady invited us into her home and showed us the view of the River and Castle from her balcony. It was just like what you would expect to see. I took a picture of her kitchen but I wish I had taken a picture of the family and her front room furniture, which was given to her by her grandmother. One wall was a floor to ceiling library. It was a very enjoyable day. The granddaughter took me around and named every flower for me in German. I had my German lesson for the day. I was smelling the lavendar and I said, "that is my favorite smell." Then we looked at a sun flower which she called Sohn Blummen. I bought some of her Kiwi preserves and the best Vanilla tea. I'll wait to share. When Gene told her that he had a daughter that designed clothes the lady was so thrilled. She wants Rachel to come to visit, such a fun family. The German people are so loving. The family was very interested in our Church and why we were there is Germany. Here is another contact to send info to. We are blessed.

We found a great little restaurant that specialized in crepes. We both shared a pizza type crepe. It was filled with vegetables, cheese, herbs and creme sauce and then it was deep fried. I never tasted anything so good. For dessert, Gene had an apple with cream sauce crepe and I had a cream and erdberry (strawberry) with hazelnuts. It was yummy. This place is a must for all of our company. After lunch Gene spotted an old berg that was about 1200 AD. I rested while he and another man took a tour. They hiked up a long stairway and then climbed under old tunnels. I was perfectly content to sit in the sun which I did. Notice the two cat pictures. They really know how to relax. Gene took pictures of the castle in and out, along with the view that he had from the top of it.

We had to hurry home as we had tickets with the group to see "Fiddler On The Roof" at the English Theater. We loved it. Dad has always loved the music but he had never put the story line with it before. It was a great story about TRADITIONS. Most of the people acting and playing in the orchestra were teenagers or young adults. Not at all professional but they were darn good. Here in Germany, kids do not take sports as an elective in school. They may play soccer during their lunch hour but their time is for school. They love fusball but they have to join a league to play. They do however have music programs, which I feel are very beneficial to a growing mind. In any case, these kids were very good. Home at 11:30 and tired today. lOVE EVERYONE. The Walters

2 comments:

  1. Two things, I want my sibling to note that only I am wanted at this lady's home, not them. Second, love the pic of you mom under ground. It reminds me of that Spanish film Pan's Labyrinth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I commented on the wrong picture, of course she asked for you, aren't you the designer? Yea, I saw that, loved it. Dad had a blast going in the tunnels, but he wanted me to see part of it. I hate enclosed places! thanks anyway. MOM

    ReplyDelete