Tuesday, October 5, 2010

02 Oct 2010 Revisitiing Rothenbug
































I guess we just haven't gotten enough of Rothenburg because this is the third time we have visited this city. Elder Walters and I just love this place. It has so many unusual places to shop at. Antique stores, authentic clothing, good places to eat and yummy desserts, (I'll tell you about that later.) I just found so many more things to take pictures of and I wanted to share them with you. First of all we went to the Criminal museum. We missed that the first few times we came but everyone says you have to do this tour, so we did. They had 5 floors of torture gadgets. I won't go into detail but one deserves special mention. The Iron Maiden. I thought that was a Heavy Metal band in the 80's but I guess it started here in Europe in Medieval times. I took a picture of the original Iron Maiden and also a more recent one. Also they gave us a run down on what a girl had to go through before she was married. Every girl had to have some sort of crown to wear on her head. If you were rich you wore one made of jewels (see picture) if you were poor you had to wear a braided straw hat (see pic) If you couldn't afford a straw hat they shaved your head and you went in the back way to the church. Also, if you were a wife who talked too much you had to wear the mask with the tongue hanging out whenever you went into town to by things. The masks were a big deal then. If a man acted like a pig he wore a pig mask and if you acted like a fool you wore the Jesters mask. They really went in for the mask business. I took a few pictures of Gene and I in the stocks, and a painting of two women having to wear the masks. I guess they talked too much.

When we walked around town I saw some beautiful houses, doors and gardens that I had missed before, so I took pictures of those too. I just can't begin to tell you how beautiful people keep there places here in Germany. They are so very clean too. You always see people sweeping the door steps to their businesses and houses. Now for the eating places here. They are marvelous. We found the best Brat place. They have the really thin ones and they put them on good german rolls that were also long and thin. I have learned to love mustard. Dad, he will have none of the mustard. For dessert I had to try these very unique fried balls. Well just look at the picture you will wonder how they are made. They look like lace. They have an iron ball that opens up and they put the dough into the center. Close it up and put it in a deep fryer. Sounds fattening already hugh? Then they dip them into chocolate, carmel, cinnamon or powdered sugar. They make them small or big. I bought a couple of small ones and ate them before Gene came back. They just melted in my mouth and oh so crunchy. I guess I am selfish but he wouldn't have liked them anyway.

I suppose you are wondering why the picture of Kentucky Fried Chicken? Well one of my girls asked us to take a picture of Dad at Kentucky's so we did. What you don't know is that this place is hopping in Germany. I took a picture of the crowd that was waiting to order food but you wouldn't believe how many people are waiting outside to get in . There parking area is as big as our church's. I guess German people like something different too. So don't put down the Colonel. We go whenever we can. The day we went, a bunch of Turkish men were having a feast day and one guy was the designated go get it man. I guess they all decided they wanted bread so he comes back with a tray of hamburger buns (about 40 pieces) and starts slinging them across the table to everyone like frisbies. They were all talking so loud it was so hilarious. Young men and old men alike were there but no women allowed. It must have been a bonding thing.

We had to hurry home because they are airing the Saturday session tonight at the church. Hope you enjoy Conference this Sunday. Love to all in Vista, The Walters

No comments:

Post a Comment