Wednesday, October 20, 2010

20 Oct 2010 German Thrift Shopping in Autumn






































Today I had two doctor's appointment and Gene had one so we took the day off. We also had to go to the DMV to try to get our driver's license, however, there is a glitch. If you are from Neveda or California plus a few other states there is no reciprocity with Germany and so after 6 months they will not let you continue to drive unless you take the 6 month driving class and pay 2,000 euros. Well that was out for us so we found out a week ago that if you live in Hessen, have driven for 5 yrs with a good record plus a few other things, you can get one. This is great for us, except, we have to do all of this in one week, that is when our deadline is. Needless to say, we have been on the phone all day today trying to talk to Sacramento. Pray for us, we will need it. Maybe Heavenly Father wants us to really work for it so we will appreciate a blessing when we see it. (Just want to make sure any future couple missionaries planning to go to Germany who are from California, better be prepared for that bomb to drop) once again Ariz, Utah and Idaho are loved by Germany, who would figure? I thought the best saints came from California.

So I guess I am through belly aching, on to a more enjoyable subject, thrift store shopping. I have been looking high and low for authentic German clothing since I have been here, but I don't want to buy them new, we would be in the poor house, besides there is nothing better than lived in and loved German clothing. You don't find many things because no one wants to give up clothing that will never wear out. It is like they are made of steel. While we were in Friedberg we walked around town and found this really great thrift shop. I told the lady what I was looking for and she directed me downstairs. When I got down there I almost died and went to heaven of course. They had lots of things but I only took so much money so I had to be selective.

I have included pictures of everything that I found. Just to make everyone in Vista and Oceanside and Texas, Jealous. I am deciding what to do with all of it. I could just keep it for myself but that would be selfish so I guess I will have to give it away, eventually. So enjoy the finds. Oh yes I also have been taking pictures of all the autumn trees around town, I put those in too so you can enjoy the change in seasons with me. Love everyone in the good old USA. The Walters.

P.S. I should give you an explanation of my finds, all you men can leave now, since you probably don't even care about durndels and ledderhosen.

#1 Little boys red hat with feather (Oberstdorfer Hutmacher original Kreuzer 51cm
#2 Little girls Red felt hat 53cm
#3. Red Child's jacket with green piping with hood size 3 (Giesswein- Austria)
#4. Durndel with red plaid skirt, white blouse and brown leather vest women's size 38
#5 Women's brushed leather pants size 35 S'Gwandl Grey piping on pockets, fully lined.
#6 Brushed lether vest with 2 side zippers size 44 German made
#7 Green brushed wool with green piping childs size 8 (Giesswein-Austria)
#8 Dark green wool knit jacket with black and red piping childs size 3 USAC Trachten- Germany
#9 Red brushed wool jacket womens size 48 has green piping with unique buttons
#10 Beige Linen blouce and matching pinafore with bow in back childs size 6 has brown leather accents USAC Trachten-Germany
#11 Charcoal black womens wool jacket with brass buttons and red and green piping size 10 (Wesenjak Tirol)
#12 Boys size 6-8 Ledderhosen greenish brown leather with red and green piping
#13 Plaid green/red/blue flannel wonens shirt size large (Salzburger Dirndl look Trachtenecht- Austria)
#14 Green leather ledderhosen boys size 3-4 with red piping white stag emblem.
#15 Black leather german belt with brass ornamentations and buckle

4 comments:

  1. does that mean you want me to save those for you? How about the little boys hat. Any baby stuff you don't want I will send to Ashley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa whoa whoa. I would love the vintage baby pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So who is this meatball person. It must be someone who knows Rachel or maybe it is Rachel. Whoever it is, thanks for the encouragement on the photography.

    ReplyDelete