Friday, April 16, 2010

04-2010 Talk on Missions in Tahiti & New Zeland

Today dad walked to Orem to see an opthomologist about his eye. It was 10 miles round trip and by the time he got back, he had 2 inch blisters on the bottoms of both of his feet. He is not a happy camper. The doctor said he scratched his eye and it is now infected so he has drops to put in 3 times a day.

We had a wonderful talk today from a couple who have been on 4 missions . Three of them have been to Tahiti and one to New Zeland. He told us a very interesting story. He said the people in the islands don't wear any clothes when it gets really hot but they stay near their homes. If you approach a home you are to holler out. If they want you to come in they will holler back. He said when they got there they went to visit every one on the island asking if they knew anyone who was Mormon. They said they visited with a little old woman who said I am a member but I want you to visit my granddaughter who lives on the other side of the island. They found the granddaughter who said she wanted her husband and her 19 children to be baptized. She said to them. "How did you know we needed the missionaries here? and the couple said, "Your grandma asked us to come visit with you." She answered, "My grandma has been dead 10 years." They went back to where they saw the little old lady and no one knew who they were talking about. That is proof that our loved ones look after us even after death.

Gene and I are into our German heavily now. Dad studies constantly. I can put sentences together but he knows all the words so I think we will make out alright. Our German tutor had another Elder with him tonight. He said he was there to witness for himself how well we were doing. They are amazed. We don't think we are doing that great but I guess someone does. We do love the language. It's great to remember that the original bible was first translated by the German people. We are both proud of our heritage.

2 comments:

  1. I guess I should explain that the name I go by is Lo Pan, the bad guy from Big Trouble in Little China. Just so your not confused as to who is leaving you comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excuse me... I mean you're, not your

    ReplyDelete