Monday, June 7, 2010

Juni 7, 2010 Trip to Limberg






















































Elder Walters and I had the day off today so he picked a place far to the North called Limburg. We left at 10:00 Am and caught the S-bahn. It took us 1 1/2 hours, but the scenery was beautiful and green. Tiny Dorfs dotted the country side and of course their is a church for each little Dorf. I tried to get a few pictures but when you are traveling 70 miles an hour it is hard.

We arrived expecting to see the famous church there but what we did not expect was the most fairy like town you have ever imagined. Every where we turned their were more and more narrow streets with original buildings. They dated back to the 1600's. We talked to another German couple who were serving a mission at the Friedricksdorf Temple, and they said Limburg did not get bombed like the other towns.

There were so many quaint little shops there. I wish all my girls were there with me so we could go shopping. We found a small restaurant called TONNE. We thought about Jeff Tonne and decided to eat there. Oh my did we eat! We had steak with garlic butter and fried potatoes with fresh onions and mushrooms with a few cherry tomatoes on the side. They really serve you big portions in Germany, we could only eat half so we decided the next time we will share a meal.

We took so many pictures, I hope you will forgive my indulgence in buildings, these were magnificent. We finally winded our way up to the reason we came here in the first place, The Dom church. The Catholics sure know how to build a chapel. I could have stayed in there all day. Dawn would love to see the pipes they use for the organ. Someday I want to hear a recital. I'm sure they have them at Christmas time. The German couple told us that at Christmas time Limberg is magical, so I guess we will come back in December, however, this is one place on the agenda for Mazzy and her friend. We walked another couple of miles today as well as hike up 50 feet of steps to the Chapel. I took a lot of pictures of this beautiful place along with and cemetery that is on the same property.

All along the flooring in the Chapel are tombs of Saints that are buried there. They just placed a steel protection plate on them and you are able to walk on top. I found some more door hinges that I took close ups of. Remember, I am collecting them. I took some more pictures on our way back. Returned home happy but tired, AGAIN.

4 comments:

  1. Now that is the Germany that I remember. I love those old towns. They have a certain feel and smell about them. And the churches, I miss hearing the church bells at the top of the hour. Question - Each town will have a souvenir shop. Have you been visiting them? They will have patches and little shields that you can buy. The patches will be embroidered with the town symbol or castle, etc. The shields you can attach to a walking stick. I still have my entire collection of both the patches and shields from my travels throughout Germany and Europe.
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the orange door! Why are American's so afraid of color?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Richard, we did visit the souvenir shops and Gene did get a patch from Frankfurt but forgot to get one of Limburg. We will be taking Maz there so we will be sure to get one. Genes going to sew them all over his jacket but I think it would be better to put them in a glass case.

    Dawn, I loved that door too. You would love this town it is what I thought all of Germany looked like but then again, most of the big towns were leveled during the war, this one was saved, thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! I'm with Dawn. What is so alluring about khaki stucco?

    ReplyDelete