Monday, September 5, 2011

04 Sep 2011 Worms FHC Visit & Neuleiningen




























































This morning we started out to visit the Family History Center in Darmstadt, just south of Frankfurt, but we were unable to reach the ward because of a Marathon Race there. We then continued on to Worms where we found them starting their Fast and Testimony meeting. I knew that the brethern on the stand could see our black name tags and wondered who we were and where we were from. I asked my wife if she would get up and bare her testimony? Her reply was, "Why don't you bare your testimony!" I said back, "OK , I will."I then asked the bishop if he would translate for me. He pointed to one of his counselors who stood up beside me. I started out, "Ich kompt aus San Diego, Calif. und meine namen ist Elder Walters." that was about all the German I knew. I told them that we were from the Frankfurt Family History Department and we came to visit their Family History Center and to talk to the Director. I thanked them for their service and desire to do Family History work and to those doing indexing. Then I said in German. "Ich weiss das Joseph Smith ein Prophet Wahr ist." Ich bin dunkbar fur mine Eloser (My Redeemer)"

We then were taken to the Center by Sister Peter, the director along with her daughter Simone who translated for her. After the many questions we asked her, they asked us if we would like to have dinner with them? My wife said YES. Well I felt that we might be intruding on their time but the fear soon left me. We drove about 30 km to their home in Grunstadt . Sister Walters said it was nice and cozy and they built it themselves with the help of family and friends. At their home, we met Sister Peter's husband who is not a member of the church but he was very friendly and cordial to us. I liked him immediately. We seemed to be cut from the same cloth. I already consider him my best friend in the Worms wardAfter dinner, which was good by the way. My wife said to tell you we had a green salad and Spatzel (which is Swabian) with a beef, onion & mushroom gravy on the top. It was delicious.

After dinner they took us to a quaint little dorf called Neuleiningen a few km from their home, to see the castle ruins there. We walked down, around and through some of the narrowest streets I've ever seen in Europe. It was fun and quite entertaining. We walked to the top of one of the old watch towers and took some photos, even though it rained most of the time. We were able to buy some postcards to remember our visit here.

I cannot express in words the good feelings we had towards the Peter's and their time of sharing with us. The Father went with us to the castle and the mother and daughter said he has never done that before. In fact, he was our quide around town and the castle. He took us to the best old homes, hotels, restaurants and view points where we could see forever and take some memorable photos.

We invited them to stay with us when they come to Salt Lake City next year. What a wonderful day we had today. I love my mission. My wife said she knew we were suppose to go to Worms today because so many spiritual things happened to us. Best of all, the time we were able to spend with Sis Peter's husband. We hope he feels more cordial toward the church and will take the lessons some day soon.

2 comments:

  1. WOW dad! I can't imagine you getting up to bare your testimony in public, let alone a strange ward that didn't even speak English!!! Wish I could have seen it myself. Also neat to hear that you found a kindred spirit on the other side of the world. Its funny meeting people on your mission that you can't imagine your life without them being a part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I was so amazed at Dads composure. I did not want to do that, but I challenged him and he did it. We are meeting some really neat people that I know will come and see us. Can't wait for them to see California.

    ReplyDelete