Sunday, September 25, 2011

17 Sep 2011 - Weinfest in Bad Durkheim

WEINFESTIVAL




i





































Salt Water Cure
























We promised to revisit the Peter's, our part member family, who attend the Worms Ward. We have grown quite attached to them. Simone, has a daughter named Nena, she is 8 years old and such a nice girl. She lives part time with her mother and part time with her Dad. When we drove to their house, everyone was at home and just ready to set down to another good German meal. Of course they asked us to eat with them. We were so embarrassed, because the last time we were there they fed us. We feel so comfortable in their home. They said they would come to visit us after we get home from our mission. We want to take them to Disneyland, Sea World, Universal Studios and of course the Beach. They have only been to Utah, so it will be a real treat for them.

We lave learned not to say that we like something, because they will give it to us. Sister Peter goes to the Flo Markt (Flea Market) and she finds the neatest things. I told her I was looking for a German dress and she gives me two. One fits just right and the other, she told me to send it to one of my daughters. They are very generous. I think allot of German's are like that. When they let you into their hearts you are there forever. I like that about Germany. We can never repay them for their generosity and kindness.

After dinner they took us to the Weinfest which is a huge event here. All the area around is just one big vineyard and there are so many different kinds of wine. Of course we do not drink, but the German's pride themselves on their good wines. We drove about 25 miles away to the town of Bad Durkeim They say it has one of the largest festivals in Germany. a big attraction besides the wine is the carnival. I would say it has more rides than the Del Mar Fair. We loved the food section. It was similar to the Christmas Market. I could not make up my mind on the kind of food I wanted. Elder Walters always gets the brat but I want to try everything. I had three fried potato cakes with applesauce and sour cream. Love them!, then we all got a creape filled with bananas and nutella. We walked around the fair and watched while Nina rode the high swinging chairs. On the walking path we ran into a strange building made of wood and black absorbant material. Through this mesh runs salt water. Anywone who has a cold or sinus trouble are invited to walk the path to wellness. It cost a few dollars but they say it really clears out your nose. Kur in kurpark actually means cure park. It is a health park with holistic medicines offered along with healthful baths and food selections. If I keep eating like I have been I will certainly by finding a place to go there.

Along with the fair are the German celebrations. Tents packed with people being entertained by a German Band. Everyone sings together at the appropriate time and they all sway to the beat of the music. It is magical to be in the middle of it all. Even though we didn't know the words, we still sang along. I actually felt like a German. What am I saying we are German, that's why we feel so at home. After the fair, the Peter's took us around Kurpark, a beautiful sitting area with flowers and statues. We also saw a bit of the town which is not really old but rather quaint. I took a few photos and then for home to be ready to visit the Hanau ward and Family History Center tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment