Monday, January 2, 2012

24 Dec 2011 Missionary Xmas Brunch & Party At Lauer's

MISSIONARY CHRISTMAS EVE BRUNCH




































CHRISTMAS NATIVITY PLAY AT CHURCH IN BAD DURKHEIM
























XMAS PARTY AT THE LAUER'S












































This was certainly a full day. This morning I got up early to make a Potato, egg and bacon casserole for the Missionary Christmas Brunch. You would not believe the food. I loved the French toast casserole, fresh fruit, hot wassal and goodies galore. Afterwards a gift exchange. We were winners this year because we acquired a beautiful Lotus candle made by a group of refugees.

We had to leave early as we were invited by the Peter Family to the Christmas Eve party at their extended family, the Lauer's, home. First we went to the town Evangelical chapel for their Christmas play. Everyone goes to show support for the town church. The children put on the Nativity play and then two young men in some sort of uniform carried in a lighted candle that is said to be a flame that originated in Jerusalem. I guess they are distributed to churches all over Germany, then people bring their own candle to take part of that flame back home. The tradition is called the flame of Bethlehem. We sang at least 6 Christmas songs, three of which I had never heard of and neither had our German friends, but it was fun. They had a beautiful large tree in the front of the chapel underneath the stained glass windows where it was simply decorated, and under that, a very authentic Nativity scene, with animals too.

At 5:00 PM we walked back to the Laurer's home. We were warmly welcomed and treated like the family. The family consists of 2 boys and three girls ages 10-18 years old. Each one contributed something musical to the nightly festivities. This vaguely reminds me of last year's Christmas Eve but we weren't asked to perform this time. Simone's daughter Lena played two Christmas songs on the piano and sang a duet with one of the Lauer girls. The entire family took a huge Rembrant Painting called "Night Watch" and gave us a lesson on its significance. It was actually a piece of work done in needle point by Bro Lauer's grandmother. It was beautiful.

Then it was time for dinner. Our favorite weis brats, potato salad, homemade rolls and hot punch. Then it was back to the living room for present exchange. Of course they gave us both a gift, but did we bring anything for them? No, why didn't I remember that from last year? Oh well, we owe them one. It was late for our 2 hour ride home from Bad Durkheim to get some beautiful sleep for Christmas day.

I forgot to tell you about my little accident. I missed a step and fell flat on my side. I thought I was going to break the plate in my back but it wasn't too painful. Mostly on my thigh. I think the Lord was there to watch over me. It just so happens a physical therapist works out of her home a few houses from the Lauer's. She took a look at my spine and determined one side was about 1 inch higher than the other side. She was able to adjust my hip bones to make them even. I felt so much better. Have to remember to hang on to my husband next time and look down.

No comments:

Post a Comment