Thursday, July 15, 2010

11 Juli 2010 On to Limberg (my favorite town)
































Another early morning and another trip without a GPS. We thought we could find it but instead we drove around endlessly looking for the (3) freeway. Well, we finally found it. and I think the girls were glad to be out of the car. They probably had enough listening to Grandpa's music. We love classical and the old German music but they preferred the oldies but goodies. Since Grandpa can't hear too well, it was extremely loud which made it hard for them to concentrate on reading. Reading a book in Germany, isn't that unforgivable when you have all this beautiful landscape? Teenagers, they are an odd breed.

What can I say about Limberg. One of the most unique little towns in Germany. It was not touched by the war, hence all original buildings. The shops are all to die for. A viritual shoppers delight. We found a shop with original German attire. Gene has decided he has to buy a Sunday suit coat to wear when Richard and Jeff wear theirs' to church. Okay family, any takers on original German outfits? Next I found a place where they make shoes, the real sturdy kind for walking. In the window they had 2 old antique shoe machines, I thought Rachel would be interested, so I took a picture. Of course we were looking for unique architecture and we found it. Gargoyles on one house, and loads of great looking doors. Dawn loves doors, so these are for you. We all hiked up to the Dom there and took some pictures of that. Out side was a small cemetery (Friedhof) that dated back to 1200 AD. Mazzy has a good eye for photography and so I am using some of her pictures. Had a very nice lunch at Tonne's restaurant, the one we ate at the last time we were here. The girls had Schnitzel with green fungus sauce. I know that sounds awful, but it was actually a gravy with mushrooms. Gene had the usual steak and I had a white fish with veggies. After walking all over Limberg we had to indulge in an eis.

I am amazed how much energy the girls had when they were doing something they really enjoyed. I tried to take pictures of them but they were embarrassed. I think there must have been some cute guys somewhere around. They wanted to blend more in with the culture not stand out. Gene had to remind me of that fact. Like I said before, I haven't had teenagers in the house for a long time. When the day was over, we counted it as one of the more enjoyable times.

No comments:

Post a Comment