Tuesday, July 20, 2010

18 Juli 2010 M & J in Saalburg-Roman Fort

































Since this was going to be Mazz and Jenna's last day here, we decided to take them to the Roman Fort in Saalburg. Gene and I have already been there so didn't take any pictures unless the girls were enjoying something. I did find a few places that I did not see last time so they are in there too. The girls tried on a chain miel (hope the spelling is right) that the soldiers used under their armor. They said it was extremely heavy. I was curious about the moss growing on the stone walls all around. Did you know it actually has flowers on it? We enjoyed an eis at the end of the day and took a leisure walk around the area. Mazz and Jenna looked through the gift shop but I don't know if they found anything interesting.

On our way home we stopped by Bad Homberg Kor park. I wanted them to see what a real park is all about. Walking trails and statue's galore. They found a life size chess board with pieces that came up to their waist. They actually had a game going. I don't even know if the girl's know how to play chess but they did a darn good job of trying. They attracted the attention of a few people who were trying to help them out with their plays. It is wonderful to see older and younger people communicating to each other. I love Germany for that. Oh and while we were there an ensemble group played German music while we sat in the shade and relaxed. I happened to look up in the tree and saw the second stage of Hazelnuts. No wonder they have so many of them around, the birds don't touch them they are too prickly. Look really hard at the picture you'll see what I mean. Everything is free to the public. You don't find anything free like that in the US. Germany really wants its citizens to appreciate the finer things of life like music. Poor or rich, it doesn't matter, they can all enjoy it. The girls were anxious to get home and finish packing, so we left.

That night Gene and I went back for a full on Concert at the park. We took one of the women who works with us. It was free of course, the music was Strauss and his waltzes. It was fabulous to be in Germany and feel the breeze on your face and really hear Germany. I will always remember this feeling. At 10:00 PM they had a fireworks display. Not like the US, but then again it was just the end of the summer music festival. All the rich people in Bad Homberg gave money to put it on. Thank you rich people. We met a non member family who our friend from work (Beata) knew. Their son was the cutest thing. I have a picture of him. Name is Patrick and he wants to come to America and stay with us a few weeks when we go home. I said you may become a Mormon if you stay with us and his Mom said, if he wants to get baptized I wouldn't stop him. Well if that isn't an invitation! They are really nice people. Well at 12:00 we finally got home. Work tomorrow eeeeh gads.

No comments:

Post a Comment