Friday, May 21, 2010

Mai 21, 2010 After work stroll


















We were so busy today at work. We are adjusting to the fact that this office is really going to be a hot bed of activity with our additional areas being added plus the missionaries with their apartments and cars that will go along with it. I'm glad though because we will get to go to Nurmberg to see things around there. For lunch we walked to a little Bistro to have some zuppe and Kase mit schinkenbrot (soup with ham and cheese sandwich). One day I had white asparagus((weis spargel) soup and today I had split pea with sausages and potatoes. You can't beat German bread. All you want and every where you go there are bacherei's(bakeries) After work Elder Walters and I stopped at the Hauptwache. That has all the really expensive fashion shops. I took a few pictures already and posted those but I took more tonight. I wanted Rachel to get a feel for the shopping here. The streets are all inlaid with rounded brick in circular patterns and they are really wide with parks, places to sit, beautiful huge iron street lights. It is magical. On Fridays all the stores close early so everyone can take off for the week end. Whoa, what a concept, family time. Oh this was amazing. We saw a huge crowd of people all standing really close to one another and I said, "I wonder if that is some kind of demonstration?" Well guess what it was? Everyone was drinking beer. But it's the very best sort of beer. There were different vendors selling their own specialty of beer, wine and champagne. I took a picture of it so you could see they really make a festival out of it. People just sit around and talk or people watch. The German people love associating one with another. We wish we knew more German. We feel left out, except for the drinking. We do get our apfelsaft(really good apple juice) however. We walked by the Alte Oper (Opera House) building. Gorgeous! We want to go hear a concert there. Maybe the Scorpions? Germany has always enjoyed good music.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, the German brot. I really love and miss the bread over there. I also love the broetchen (rolls), with the hard crust and doughy inside.

    Also, I'm trying to figure out who's on the computer in the last picture. It kind of looks like Elder Walters, but we know better... haha...

    Viel Spass...

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this really cute old etiquette book at the thrift store today. I stumbled upon a section entitled, "Etiguette Abroad" so I thought I would share an excerpt. "The seasoned touristknows that the full enjoyment of his trip depends upon the way he adapts himself to the customs of the countries through which he passes."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dad would totally blend in if he stoped wearing Charger sweatshirts and carrying a BigGulp cup!

    ReplyDelete